Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Q&A with Jim Balsillie on his proposed purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes - Charlotte Business Journal:

artemchuksykitas.blogspot.com
His latest effort to buy a team has resultedf in a court battlein Phoenix, where his offer to buy the Coyotew out of bankruptcy for $213 million is contingent upon beingb able to relocate the club to southern Last week, Balsillie took time to answer questionws via e-mail regarding his offer for the Coyotese and his struggle in court for the Is southern Ontario the only place you woulr accept an NHL franchise? If so, why? “Yes, southerjn Ontario is our choice to locate the franchise becausd I believe it’s the best unserved hockeuy market in the world.
It reaches an urbanb center of more than 7million people, the fourtuh largest in North America behind New York, Chicago and Los I have over 130,000 hockey fans in a mattert of mere weeks who’ve indicated support for bringingh a seventh NHL team to Canada, and specifically to southerjn Ontario, through our Web site, www.makeitseven.ca.” You’ve said you pursuerd the franchise relocation through bankruptcy because “there is no front door” into the What have you experienced that’ss led you to that conclusion? “kI looked for a front door in the Believe me, if there was one, I woul have found it.
At one the NHL’s position was that there was no consideratiobn being given to locating another team insouthern Ontario, and that is fair But since this huge groundswell of support for www.makeitseven.ca, the NHL has said that it now does believd southern Ontario is a good hockey market and can supporg another NHL franchise, so I give full credit to the fans for They are making the impossible turn into the Part of your argument has been that a new ownee in Phoenix would place unjus t tax burdens on the community in but if you moved the team to Copps it’s been reported that you’d seek renovation funding from the city of How do you reconcile that?
“Let me clear that up. I woulx not be seeking government funding forthe franchise. Not a singlse dollar. In fact, I will be investing money immediatelyt tofund short-term renovations to the arenwa in Hamilton, Copps Coliseum. But the city of Hamilton will own the I have askedthe city, as a partner, to invest the funda to help with the long-term renovation costsw at the arena. It would not be me but the city of Hamiltob who would decide whether to request that funding from those two levelsof government, equivalent to the U.S. federalo and state governments. That decision ultimatelyh restswith Hamilton.” Why do you think you’lkl win this court battle over relocation?
“We’rs confident because we believde we have a solid business proposal and in the interests of the bankruptcy we believe we have the best offer to address creditors. That is a prioritg of the bankruptcy court. The largesf Coyotes creditor has already told the court my offer is the best proposal toaddressw creditors. So in that proceses we feel positive. After bringing litigation that challengesd the framework ofthe league, how can you ever win back enough trust and faith of the board of governors to receiver a three-fourths vote to enter the league or work with them on a day-to-dau basis? “I think I can work with the other ownersd in the league, no question.
They are businesse people, just like I am. Remember, my application to becomw an NHL owner was approved unanimously by all 30 NHL boarc of governors representatives when I attemptedr to purchasethe Penguins. Everyone who has workesd with me in business or in philanthropy will tell you that my only goal is to briny value and to leave a situatioh in much better shape than it was in when I entered the scene. That’s what I am all What are the chances this gets settles before the endof June? “Very good. I do know there is a hearinf June 9 at the court in Phoenicx on relocation and an auction planned forJune 22. We appreciats the fact that Judge Baum has expedited theprocess here.
” How do you see this saga playinf out and ending? “With us dropping the puck in Hamilton to a sold-ouy NHL game, and to bringing valuse to the league and all its franchises long

No comments:

Post a Comment